Researcher's Information - National Institute for Agro-Environmental Sciences, NIAES
April 1, 2015
Satoru OKUBO, Ph.D.
Senior researcher, Biodiversity Division
- Understanding mechanisms of biodiversity maintenance in Japan's satoyama landscapes
- Comparing positive/negative roles of human disturbance on biodiversity in agricultural landscapes of Monsoon Asia
- Assessing ecosystem services in relation to biodiversity in human-modified landscapes
Publications in English
- Nakamura S, Tsuge T, Okubo S, Takeuchi K, Nisikawa U (2014) Exploring factors affecting farmers' implementation of wildlife-friendly farming on Sado Island, Japan. Journal of Resources and Ecology 5: 370-380.
- Muhamad D, Okubo S, Harashina K, Parikesit, Gunawan B, Takeuchi K (2014) Living close to forests enhances local people's knowledge and perception of ecosystem services. Ecosystem Services 8: 197-206.
- Muhamad D, Okubo S, Miyashita T, Parikesit, Takeuchi K (2013) Effects of habitat type, vegetation structure, and proximity to forests on bird species richness in a forest-agricultural landscape of West Java, Indonesia. Agroforestry Systems 87: 1247-1260.
- Yamada S, Kitagawa Y, Okubo S (2013) A comparative study of the seed banks of abandoned paddy fields along a chronosequence in Japan. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 176: 70-78.
- Okubo S, Tomatsu A, Parikesit, Muhamad D, Harashina K, Takeuchi K (2012) Leaf functional traits and functional diversity of multistoried agroforests in West Java, Indonesia. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 149: 91-99.
- Koyanagi T, Kusumoto Y, Yamamoto S, Okubo S, Iwasaki N, Takeuchi K (2012) Grassland plant functional groups exhibit distinct time-lags in response to historical landscape change. Plant Ecology 213: 327-338.
- Sasaki T, Okubo S, Okayasu T, Jamsran U, Ohkuro T, Takeuchi K (2011) Indicator species and functional groups as predictors of proximity to ecological thresholds in Mongolian rangelands. Plant Ecology 212: 327-342.
- Okubo S, Parikesit, Muhamad D, Harashina K, Takeuchi K, Umezaki M (2010) Land use/cover classification of a complex agricultural landscape using single-dated very high spatial resolution satellite-sensed imagery. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing 36: 722-736.
- Okubo S, Parikesit, Harashina K, Muhamad D, Abdoellah OS, Takeuchi K (2010) Traditional perennial crop-based agroforestry in West Java: the tradeoff between on-farm biodiversity and income. Agroforestry Systems 80: 17-31.
- Sasaki T, Okubo S, Okayasu T, Jamsran U, Ohkuro T, Takeuchi K (2009) Two-phase functional redundancy in plant communities along a grazing gradient in Mongolian rangelands. Ecology 90: 2598-2608.
- Koyanagi T, Kusumoto Y, Yamamoto S, Okubo S, Takeuchi K (2009) Historical impacts on linear habitats: the present distribution of grassland species in forest-edge vegetation. Biological Conservation 142:1674-1684.
- Sasaki T, Okubo S, Okayasu T, Jamsran U, Ohkuro T, Takeuchi K (2009) Management applicability of the intermediate disturbance hypothesis across Mongolian rangeland ecosystems. Ecological Applications 19: 423-432.
- Sasaki T, Okayasu T, Shirato Y, Jamsran U, Okubo S, Takeuchi K (2008) Can edaphic factors demonstrate landscape-scale differences in vegetation responses to grazing? Plant Ecology 194: 51-66.
- Yamada S, Okubo S, Kitagawa Y, Takeuchi K (2007) Restoration of weed communities in abandoned rice paddy fields in the Tama Hills, central Japan. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 119: 88-102.
- Ichikawa K, Okubo N, Okubo S, Takeuchi K (2006) Transition of the satoyama landscape in the urban fringe of the Tokyo metropolitan area from 1880 to 2001. Landscape and Urban Planning 78: 398-410.
- Abdoellah OS, Hadikusumah HY, Takeuchi K, Okubo S, Parikesit (2006) Commercialization of homegarden in Indonesian village: compositional and functional changes. Agroforesry Systems 68: 1-13.
- Hara Y, Takeuchi K, Okubo S (2005) Urbanization linked with past agricultural land-uses and landform transformation in the urban fringe of deltaic Asian mega-cities: a case study in Bangkok. Landscape and Urban Planning 73: 16-28.
- Okubo S, Kamiyama A, Kitagawa Y, Yamada S, Palijon A, Takeuchi K (2005) Management and micro-scale landform determine the ground flora of secondary woodlands and their verges in the Tama Hills of Tokyo, Japan. Biodiversity and Conservation 14: 2137-2157.
- Okubo S, Takeuchi K, Chakranon B, Jongskul A (2003) Land characteristics and plant resources in relation to agricultural land-use planning in a Humid Tropical strand plain, Southeastern Thailand. Landscape and Urban Planning 65: 133-148.
- Parikesit, Okubo S, Husodo T, Takeuchi K, Muhamad D (2012) Biodiversity issues in Indonesia, with special reference to biodiversity in human-dominated landscapes. In S. Nakano, T. Yahara, T. Nakashizuka (eds) Biodiversity Observation Network in the Asia-Pacific Region: Toward Further Development of Monitoring. Springer, Tokyo, pp. 93-110.
- Hara Y, Haruyama S, Okubo S, Takeuchi K (2007) Landfill development causes changes in distribution of flood-prone area: a case study in Laguna Plain, Metro Manila, the Philippines. In H. Furumai, H. Katayama, F. Kurisu, H. Satoh, S. Ohgaki and N.C. Thanh (eds), Southeast Asian Water Environment 2. IWA Publishing, Cornwall, UK, pp. 11-18.
- Abdoellah OS, Hadikusumah HY, Takeuchi K, Okubo S, Parikesit (2006) Commercialization of homegarden in Indonesian village: compositional and functional changes. In B.M. Kumar and P.K.R. Nair (eds), Tropical Homegardens: A Time-Tested Example of Sustainable Agroforestry. Advances in Agroforestry vol. 3. Springer-Verlag, Dordrecht, pp. 233-250.