Research institutes, Research Division (Location), and Research programs
- Please see the separate table[PDF:37.6KB]. Applicants may submit multiple applications.
- We are planning to recruit 19 new fixed-term research scientists in total.
*Name of research institute and research division would be changed due to an integration of organization schduled in April 2016, but location and research program will not change.
Qualifications for application
- Applicants must possess, or be scheduled to obtain, a doctoral degree prior to the date of employment.
- Applicants should possess the knowledge, ability, and/or techniques necessary for employment as a member of the research scientist group responsible for the research theme of the intended post.
- Applicants may be of any nationality, but must have strong skills of verbal and writing communication in both Japanese and English.
- In cases where applicants' publications and qualifications are evaluated as being equivalent, NARO will give precedence to the employment of women and foreign nationals for these posts.
*Provisions for Disqualification
No person falling under any of the items in the article 38 of The National Public Service Act (Act No. 120 of 1947) shall be eligible to assume the position in NARO except as provided for by rules of the National Personnel Authority.
- Entry sheet download the format, including Japanese question[XLS:66.0KB]
File name: (Applicant' s family name)-1.pdf Example: Williams-1.pdf
- Summary of current research and major achievements (1 page A4 size, free format)
File name (example): Williams-2.pdf
- List of publications download the format [XLS:29.0KB]
File name (example): Williams-3.pdf
- Major publications (no more than five, in one unified PDF file)
File name (example): Williams-4.pdf
- Your future ambitions (1 page A4 size, free format)
File name (example): Williams-5.pdf
- Recommendation letter (1 page A4 size, free format, including the name, signature, affiliation, title, phone number, and e-mail address of the recommending person)
NARO employees are unqualified for the recommending persons.
File name (example): Williams-6.pdf
- Contact address of the applicant (1 page A4 size, free format, including postal address, phone, fax, and e-mail address)
File name (example): Williams-7.pdf
E-mail destination address
- Documents should be submitted by e-mail to
as attached PDF files.
Title of the e-mail:
(Number of post)-(Family name of applicant)
- If you submit multiple applications, please send each by a separate e-mail.
- The documents must arrive by 12:00 on Monday, September 28th, 2015 (Japan standard time).
- The selection committee of NARO will perform its initial evaluation based on the documents in the early October and will notify applicants of the result by October 16th, 2015.
- The second evaluation (oral interview) will be carried out in Tsukuba City on one day between October 19th and November 6th.
The above dates are the currently scheduled dates and subject to change. NARO will inform applicants of any changes to the schedule.
Commencement of employment
April 1st, 2016
- The basic monthly salary is ¥267,100 for doctoral degree holder. This will be increased based on each careers, research activities and others.
- Bonus payment will be twice a year in accordance with the regulation of NARO.
- Various allowance* will be given in accordance with the regulation of NARO.
*Transport allowance, overtime compensation, dependency allowance, house allowance and others.
◎There is possibility that the amount of salary including allowances and bonuses will be changed due to a revision of regulation.