Info for International Researchers

Immigration Procedures

All foreigners on a short or long-term stay for research purposes are required to have a visa. For invited researchers, NARO will provide the necessary documents such as Certificate of Eligibility that must be submitted with the visa application to the Japanese embassy or consulate in the country of residence.
Researchers and accompanying family members staying in Japan for more than 3 months must apply for a Resident Card at the town or city office upon arrival in Japan. The card serves as ID which must be carried at all times.
For details on visa required for foreign researchers who would like to stay in Japan on a short and long term basis, please refer to this site. A re-entry permit is also required if the researcher is leaving the country but intend to return during the period indicated in the visa. Please refer to this site.

Living in Japan

Living in Japan may be a challenge to many foreign researchers due to differences in culture, language and other everyday aspects. Information on daily life such as transportation, health care, childcare and education, emergencies and consultations is usually available in city and town offices in Japan. In Tsukuba, please refer to the Guidebook for Foreign Residents.

Learning Japanese

The language is one of the main barriers for foreign researchers without any background in Japanese. But this should not prevent a researcher from doing good research in Japan. Japanese researchers can speak English but sometimes are just too shy. For those living in Tsukuba area, the Tsukuba Office of the Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Research Council Secretariat offers Japanese language classes to foreign researchers. Please contact the

On-campus and Off-campus Housing

Limited on-campus housing is available at the Tsukuba Norin Danchi for researchers in the Tsukuba campuses. The Norin-danchi guest house provides arrangements for short-term accommodation for single or families.
Centers and institutes outside Tsukuba without on-campus housing may arrange short-term accommodation at a nearby facility or international guest house if available.
Off-campus housing requires refundable deposit (one to two months' rent), non-refundable payment to the landlord (reign), real estate agent fee, and first month's rent. Rental apartments are often not furnished, and you will need to lease or buy such basic necessities as beddings, furnitures, appliances etc.

Useful Links and Resources

Newcomer's Guide to Tsukuba
Alien Times
Multilingual Guide to Living in Japan
Web Japan
Living in Tsukuba-A guidebook for foreign residents