Role and Missions of NFRI
The Food Research Institute, NARO (NFRI) is the research arm of the National Agriculture and Food Research Organisation (NARO) specifically in the area of food related science and technology, ranging from scientific analysis on food and health, development of technology to ensure the safety of food, and development of innovative distribution and processing technologies. While implementing the most advanced technology, the institute makes their best efforts to work on relevant basic research as well as to support on-going research projects. The NFRI aims to increase the value of agricultural products and foods to a maximum degree, and to ensure a stable supply of a great variety of safe foods and related information to consumers.
Major Research Subjects
The NFRI focuses on three major research areas: (1)Study on three functions of agricultural products and foods, namely nutritional function, quality and sensory properties, and health-promoting function, and development of technology for their effective utilisation; (2) Development of technology to ensure the safety and credibility of agricultural products and foods; and (3) Development of distribution and processing technologies with an aim to conserve and improve the functionalities of agricultural products.
In addition to basic research and development of advanced technologies, NFRI carries out research that meets the rapidly changing needs of society. Through the channels among food industry and agriculture, forestry and fisheries industry, the research results obtained at NFRI have contributed to building a technical system to support a healthy and rich diet for consumer and to secure safe and stable food supply.
- 1934: Established as the Rice Uses Research Institute under the Agricultural Bureau of Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries in Tokyo
- 1944: Reorganized as the Office of Food Administration Research Institute
- 1947: Reorganized as the Food Research Institute
- 1972: Reorganized as the National Food Research Institute
- 1979: Moved to Tsukuba Science City from Tokyo
- 2001: Reorganized as the Independent Administrative Agency, National Food Research Institute
- 2006: Merged with the Independent Administrative Agency, National Agriculture and Food Research Organization (NARO)
- 2016: Re organised under the National Agriculture and Food Research Organisation and renamed as Food Research Institute, NARO (NFRI)