National Food Research Institute (NFRI) is the only research organization under the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries which conducts research specifically in the area of food related science and technology. The institute covers extensive research subjects ranging from 'scientific analysis on food and health', 'development of technology to ensure the safety of food' to 'development of innovative distribution and processing technologies.' While implementing the most advanced technology, the institute makes their best efforts to work on the relevant basic research as well as to support on-going research projects.
Goal of research
- To increase the value of agricultural products and foods to a maximum degree.
- To ensure a stable supply of a great variety of safe foods and related information to consumers.
Focusing on the supply of agricultural products from the distribution networks and processing sites to the consumer, NFRI is carrying out research in diverse areas.
Major research subjects
- Study on three functions of agricultural products and foods, namely nutritional function, quality and sensory properties, and health-promoting function, and development of technology for their effective utilization.
- Development of technology to ensure the safety and credibility of agricultural products and foods.
- Development of distribution and processing technologies with an aim to conserve and improve the functionalities of agricultural products.
In addition to basic research and development of advanced technologies, NFRI carries out research that meets the rapidly changing needs of society.
Through the channels among food industry and agriculture, forestry and fisheries industry, the research results obtained at NFRI have contributed to building a technical system to support a healthy and rich diet for consumer and to secure safe and stable food supply.
1934: Established as the Rice Uses Research Institute under the Agricultural Bureau of Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries in Tokyo.
1944: Reorganized as the Office of Food Administration Research Institute.
1947: Reorganized as the Food Research Institute.
1972: Reorganized as the National Food Research Institute .
1979: Moved to Tsukuba Science City from Tokyo.
2001: Reorganized as the Independent Administrative Agency, National Food Research Institute.
2006: Merged with the Independent Administrative Agency, National Agriculture and Food Research Organization (NARO) .