Top >About NIAS> Campus
Kannondai Main Campus
- The main campus is located in Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki Prefecture, and is the center of major research activities of various research centers and divisions. Additionally, support facilities are provided at the Genebank, Genome Information Center, Plant Functional Genomics Laboratory, and Structural Biology Building.
- The Owashi Campus located in Owashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki Prefecture is the center for insect research and consists of the Facilities for Advanced Studies on Insect Technology (FSIT), Facilities for Insect Immunity (FII), Insect Biotechnology Laboratory (IBL), and the Biomaterial Laboratory.
NIAES Area Campus
- This campus is located in the same area as the National Institute of Agro-Environmental Sciences (NIAES) in Kannondai, Tsukuba. Support facilities are provided at the Bio-Plant Research Center (BPRC) and the Germplasm Storage Center.
Ikenodai Area Campus
- This campus is located in the same area as the NARO Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science (NILGS) in Ikenodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki Prefecture. Support facilties are provided for research on livestock genomics.
Oomiya Campus (Institute of Radiation Breeding)
- The Institute of Radiation Breeding (IRB) is located in Hitachi Oomiya, Ibaraki Prefecture. It is engaged in the development of new crop strains through mutation induction, and is conducting research into more efficient methods for inducing mutation. It comprises of three irradiation facilities for mutation breeding of crop species.
- The Genebank Hokuto Campus is the repository for silkworm genetic resources. Currently, 470 varieties of silkworm are maintained in the facility located in Hokuto, Yamanashi Prefecture.